Saturday, April 20, 2013

We made it through the winter


It has been a few months since I wrote here…blog fail. Ah well. I thought to write something a few times but I just felt like there wasn’t too much going on that was interesting enough to write about. And please don’t get your hopes up, there still isn’t really. I sort of feel like we hibernated for the winter. But I'm okay with low-key.

I started a new job!  And though I’m only 3 weeks into it, I really like it. It’s with a subsidiary of General Dynamics, which is an information technology company that works on a variety of government contracts. I’m working on a Medicare contract that runs a program for physicians to report “quality measures”, or basically, how well they care for their patients. I’ve worked in a variety of healthcare jobs in the past, and now I’m on a team that administers some of the programs I used to work on the other end of, so it’s really interesting to me. So far I really like the work—I think it suits me well, and I also am really liking the team I’m on. 

Andy and I had a really fun date night last weekend at Valley Junction Gallery Night. Valley Junction is this really cute neighborhood near us with fun stores and antique shops and restaurants, and of course, galleries. So on Gallery Night the shops stay open late and serve snacks or appetizers or wine or hot chocolate. It was such a fun night! My favorite shop was called “Hinge,” –I had to restrain myself because I wanted to get everything there {I asked the cashier if I could just move in}.

[stole these photos from the internet]
 
 
 
But I managed to narrow it down, and we walked away with 2 fun purchases—a giant letter “B” and a little white owl. So then when we got home I needed something to hang on the wall with the B, so I made a couple of wall hangings with burlap and upholstery nails (thank you Pinterest!). Love it. {Though since we live on the third floor and this project involved nailing into the wood frame, I do not believe our downstairs neighbors were nearly as thrilled…}


And then the next night we finally tried Casey’s Pizza. We have been hearing about Casey’s Pizza ever since we moved here. Casey’s General Store is the big gas station chain here…so we were not super excited to try the gas station pizza. But everyone…literally EVERYONE here said it was pretty great, so we finally ordered one, and it was really good! So friends, be enticed to come visit us, because we may just treat you to some Casey's Pizza :) And that was our true Iowa experience for the week.

So there, how's that for low-key? But we've been enjoying ourselves. Enjoying this city, each other, friends, and just this stage in our lives. Also enjoying this spring that has begun! (though I hear it's still winter back in WI. Sorry guys, people here are already mowing their very green lawns!) Things are good.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie! I love hearing about how you are doing! Your date night sounds amazing. I am admittedly jealous. That store looks like my kind of store, too. And your projects! Good grief, girl. You are so fun.

    ReplyDelete